Who doesn’t like sushi? It’s the perfect little creation. You have grains, seeds, vegetables, fruit… in a beautiful natural package. Easy finger food.
This is a basic one but some of the techniques of how to make sushi might help with rolling and keeping everything together.
- 1 cup of short grain brown rice
- 2 cups of water
- 1-3 tbsp Rice wine vinegar
- 1 Cucumber thinly sliced
- 1 Avocado thinly sliced (if you really wanted to go crazy and throw some other vegetables in here you absolutely should!!) 🙂
- Fresh ginger or pickled ginger
- Nori Sheets
- Sesame seeds (for fanciness)
Things that would be good to have:
- Sushi mat
- Mandolin slicer
HOW TO CREATE:
- Soak the brown rice in a bowl of water for 20 minutes. In the meantime you can thinly slice the cucumber and avocado. If you have a mandolin, it makes slicing super easy. You can run the ginger through it as well to get very thinly sliced ginger.
- Rice the brown rice. Then in a medium saucepan, bring the 2 cups of water to boil and add the brown rice. Lower the heat and cook until the water is absorbed and rice is tender. Usually around 20-25 minutes. You can also cook the brown rice in an instapot.
- Let the rice cool slightly around 10 minutes. It will “melt” the nori if its too hot when you start adding it to the nori sheets. While its cooling, add the rice wine vinegar. Try it. Some people like a lot and some only a little. Make sure you add 1 tbsp and then try it before adding the entire 3 tbsp. it can be intense. (Another fun and delicious add either during this process or at the end instead of soy sauce is to use coconut aminos.)
Now the fun begins.
- Place one of the nori sheet on the sushi mat. Dip your hands in a little bit of water so you don’t stick to the rice. Place and smear a very thin layer of rice all over the nori sheet surface. Then arrange only 1-2 cucumber and avocado on half of the surface. Don’t cover the entire nori sheet with vegetables it wont stick together as a roll.
- Starting at the end with the vegetables. Roll the mat with your thumbs while you hold the vegetables with your fingers. Bring the nori and rice over so that the vegetables are covered and with the tips of your fingers pull back a little bit to tighten the roll. Another way to explain it is to squeeze gently so that you are sealing the nori border by rolling it forward. Open the mat and roll the log forward to fully seal the nori. Sheets. Transfer to another dish. Cut crosswise. Repeat.